Our Heritage & History

Cincinnati Christian University began nearly a century ago. On September 23, 1924, two institutions—McGarvey Bible College in Louisville, Kentucky, and Cincinnati Bible Institute in Cincinnati, Ohio—merged to form The Cincinnati Bible Seminary (CBS).

CCU has offered both undergraduate and graduate studies since its inception in 1924. Since then, the graduate program has grown and expanded, having enjoyed its own identity since 1956 and a separate faculty since 1965. In 1987, the corporate name of the institution was changed to Cincinnati Bible College & Seminary. In 2004, the Center of Adult Learning and Leadership began offering adults an evening accelerated format to complete undergraduate degrees; that same year the corporate name became Cincinnati Christian University. Today CCU’s academics are governed by the Foster School of Biblical Studies, Arts & Sciences; Russell School of Ministry; School of Education & Behavioral Sciences; School of Business; Center of Adult Learning and Leadership; and Cincinnati Bible Seminary.

According to our founding charter, the purpose of CBS was “to prepare men and women for Christian service.” At that time, the university’s founders wanted to meet the pressing leadership needs of independent local churches that were associated with the Restoration Movement fellowship and they wanted to provide students with an education that was well-grounded in the Word of God.

1924 – 1939 Price Hill campus consisted of two large residences and a rented church building
1939 Campus moved to present location after purchase of 27 acres with 5 buildings
1941 University purchased a Presbyterian church building for use for chapel services until 1983
1968 Edwin G. Crouch Memorial Building was erected to house the library and the
graduate school.
1968 – 1983 Adjoining properties were added to campus; Presidents Hall, a multi-purpose
facility, was dedicated in 1983.
2004 Worship and Ministry Center was dedicated
2007 Presidents Hall entry pavilion and outdoor plaza added and dedicated
2015 The Price Hill campus now includes fifty-four acres, and CCU has established extension sites in Springdale, Ohio, and Indianapolis, Indiana.

Throughout its generations of service, Cincinnati Christian University has sought to provide “scholarship in an atmosphere of faith”—educating men and women to understand the Scriptures and minister in the name of Jesus in the church and in the world. With nearly ten thousand graduates and approximately twenty thousand who have attended, CCU has trained a high percentage of the ministers, missionaries and para-church leaders among the Restoration Movement churches and organizations, thousands of other church leaders, as well as individuals who serve the Lord faithfully in the public marketplace—in business, education, and other careers—and as volunteers in the church. The scope of CCU’s influence is genuinely worldwide: CCU alumni have served in all fifty states and in at least seventy-one countries around the globe.

Since 1924, Cincinnati Christian University has been committed to:

• Communicating Biblical truth.
• Producing servant-leaders who love Jesus Christ and model excellence in church leadership, education, business, missions, counseling, preaching, music, pastoral care, and other areas of service.
• Applying the ideals of Biblical authority, Christian unity, and effective evangelism to the current culture with passion and relevance.