CCU is committed to offering Mission and Service Learning opportunities to its students. Some of these trips happen yearly and others vary year to year.
A group of CCU students travel to Birmingham, England, over Spring Break. Birmingham is the second largest city in England and has been the first stopping-off point for newly arrived immigrants for decades. This creates a unique opportunity for students to experience many different cultures while also giving back to a community in need.
While on this trip, students:
– Learn some of the traditions and customs of other faiths as we interact with and serve alongside Sikhs, Muslims, and Hindus.
– Bring hope to a community through volunteering at the local schools where among 250 students, 42 languages are spoken.
– Discover a new way to appreciate food and immigration by taking a cooking class with immigrants from all over the world.
This trip provides students with the opportunity to see other places in the UK like London or Oxford. We also try to squeeze in a football (soccer) match or two.
Ultimately, we take this trip shows you what it looks like when a community gets serious about coming together and partnering to bring hope. If you have any questions or would like to know more, contact [email protected].
Toronto, ON (Canada)
Fall Break service learning trips to Toronto focus on learning how the refugee resettlement processes are different in Canada and the United States. Participants encounter and reflect on the ways in which citizens step forward and sponsor refugees through a voluntary system of resettlement. If you have any questions or would like to know more, contact [email protected].
Living in a conservative Hindu country, Christians in Nepal are isolated and frequently persecuted. This trip allowed CCU students to encourage their Nepali brothers and sisters during a conference in a remote Himalayan village that no foreigner has ever visited. Experiences included prayer walking, sharing in worship, teaching Bible lessons, and running a VBS. Students benefit by learning about Hinduism, Nepali life and culture, and fellowshipping with Nepali believers while becoming more passionate about the Great Commission.
CCU students joined with Ryan and Maggie Warmuth (CCU Alumni and current missionaries to Nepal) to:
– Encouraged isolated and persecuted Christians.
– Taught Bible lessons to Nepali children and adults.
– Worshipped, taught, and learned alongside Nepali Christians.
– Visited remote villages as well as the capital city, Kathmandu.
– Visited sites such as: Hindu temples (Pashupatinath, Durbar Square), Buddhist temples (Swayambunath), local eateries, the Himalayan mountains, roadside markets, and experience daily Nepali life.
For pictures of the Warmuths in Nepal, click HERE.
In May of 2018, CCU took students to Haiti in partnership with Northwest Haiti Christian Mission (NWHCM).
Northwest Haiti Christian Mission endeavors to passionately pursue Christ and express his love while empowering Haitian people to do the same. CCU aided NWHCM to achieve this mission by:
– Completing construction, painting, and maintenance projects
– Hosting a VBS and children’s sports camp
– Aiding in community development
– Taking part in evangelistic and revival efforts