Children’s Minister – Seattle, OR
Church Name: Rainier Avenue Church
Location: Seattle, OR
This person will be an energizing champion for the presence and growth of children in the body of Christ both at RAC and in our neighborhood. Provide pastoral leadership for ministry to children birth through 5th grade to facilitate a nurturing faith environment for children and their families of all backgrounds and developmental stages; relational presence who speaks the truth in love to help children & families thrive. Empowers parents and lay leaders to disciple children’s faith in Christ and cultivates contagious enthusiasm to reach out to children both in and outside of RAC.
Pastoral (Children’s Ministry)
- Lead Elementary (K-5th) ministry and provide oversight and administrative oversight to volunteer teams running Nursery and Preschool ministry.
- Create and/or select curricula that teach children the basics of Christian faith in keeping with Rainier Avenue Church’s understanding of our calling; focusing on Bible stories, songs, and creative activities.
- Provide pastoral leadership to all Children’s ministry volunteers including recruiting, training, scheduling, equipping and evaluating volunteer staff of all Children’s ministries.
- Foster intergenerational relationships and worship experiences for children through occasional special participation in elements of the adult service, volunteer recruitment, and other creative strategies.
- Develop and support parents as primary disciplers of their children.
- Enhance vision and create opportunities for the church to reach out to serve and build relationships with children and their families in our neighborhood.
- Collaborate with lay leaders and parents to create outreach to children and families in our neighborhood (could be through seasonal events, partnership with schools, etc) that mobilizes our church to serve our community consistent with our church’s
- Implement a children’s curriculum that integrates a biblical understanding of justice and reconciliation; collaborate with parents’ staff and other ministries/partners.
- Champion the children’s ministries of the church by engaging church members in service to children both at RAC and in our neighborhood.
- Participate as a staff person of Rainier Avenue including weekly prayer and planning meetings and all-staff events throughout the year.
- Plan, propose and oversee annual budgets and operational functioning of the Children’s ministries.
- Ensure the regular distribution of children’s curriculum.
- Coordinate all volunteer scheduling, train volunteer in best practices and Abuse Prevention Policy compliance.
- Record, track and update all necessary information (attendance, demographic data, etc.) in Church Community Builder, the church’s database.
- Maintain supply room, supplies and snacks in children’s ministry rooms.
- Ensure that Children’s rooms and spaces are prepared for all events that involve either Children’s ministry programming and/or events.
- Other Pastoral responsibilities pastoral care for congregation members, preaching 1-2 times per year, etc. as needed.
- Report directly to the Executive Pastor under general oversight from the Board and Lead pastor.
- Will work collaboratively with Urban Impact Hub Director for all outreach ministry initiatives
- Maintain a working relationship with other staff and collaborate on all church events as needed.
- Cultivate healthy and supportive relationships with Preschool and Elementary volunteers and with members of RAC congregation.
- This is a full-time (FSLA) exempt position.
- Vacation and sick time in accordance with policy.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include health insurance, pension if ordained in the Free Methodist Church, generous sick and vacation time. Further details provided in the interview process.
- Employment with Rainier Avenue Church is at will unless otherwise stated in a written agreement signed by the lead pastor or board chair. This means that either the church or the employee can terminate the employment at any time and for any reason, with or without notice.
- Christian maturity and a continued nurturing of a personal relationship with Jesus.
- Discerned calling towards children’s ministry and a love for the local church.
- Experience in children’s ministry or comparable educational settings preferred.
- Passion for and demonstrated experience in reaching out to local neighborhood and teaching children about justice and reconciliation.
- Experience working cross-culturally, as well as a full commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and racial reconciliation as biblical values.
- Demonstrated history of working well with others in a team environment.
- Proven organizational skills, ability to manage people, take initiative to carry out an established vision.
- Emotionally and spiritually attuned to empathize with needs of children and families.
- Understanding of Wesleyan theology and willingness to engage in Free Methodist life (ordination in Free Methodist Church preferred, or commitment to pursue ordination within two years of start date).
- Bachelor’s Degree required, graduate degree in Theology or Pastoral Work, children’s education or other related fields desired.
- Must pass a background check.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and use of email needed for coordinating projects and budgets.
- Regular attendance at Sunday worship and active participation in the life of the church is assumed.
- Must work Sunday mornings 8am-1pm (church services), every other Wednesday for staff meeting 10:30am-1pm, evenings and weekends as needed for church events.
To submit a resume or for more information, please contact us at [email protected] You can also find out more on our website, www.rainieravenuechurch.org