DEPARTMENT: Enrollment Services
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
DATE MODIFIED: 10/1/18
The Bursar is responsible for directing the Enrollment Services Department, which provides service to students in the areas of student finances (including financial aid and student accounts). This position plays a key role in maintaining positive cash flow for the university. The Bursar reports to the Vice President of Finance and Administration.
Provide leadership in planning, implementation and communication of student receivable and financial aid policies, procedures and regulations.
- Provide leadership in planning, implementation and communication of student receivable and financial aid policies, procedures and regulations.
- Communicate student account policies to members of the faculty, staff or administration.
- Work in collaboration with other departments, including Admissions, Registrar, Student Services, Athletics, and Finance.
- Assure accuracy of student receivable transactions through implementation of systematic policies and procedures.
- Maintain student receivables and the related documentation in a manner that will lend itself to verification by internal audit and testing by the University’s outside auditors.
- Oversee the processing of student account refunds.
- Serve as university chair for scholarship committees.
- Oversee administration of institutional scholarship and grant programs.
- Maintain policy and procedures manual for institutional scholarship programs.
- Serve as primary contact with outside service providers (including online payments, student payment plans, refund system, student insurance, and collection services).
- Prepare and submit required federal reports in a timely and accurate manner.
- Configure database module to perform necessary functions and assist other users in solving software problems.
- Work with the IT Department or software provider to solve processing problems that may develop.
- Supervise Enrollment Services staff
- Represent Enrollment Services at CCU events for prospective and new students, as needed.
- Maintain departmental information displayed on CCU website and MyCCU student portal.
- Serve as department’s database module manager.
- Participate in professional organizations, such as Ohio Bursars Association.
- Train and orient new office staff.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Work is performed in a typical office environment with very limited physical efforts required.
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Moderate noise level
- Very busy at times, frequently interrupted at the beginning of semesters
- Knowledge of and agreement with CCU’s mission and philosophy of higher education
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience with accounting practices
- Demonstrated ability to master various types of computer systems and software
- Strong organizational skills and mathematical aptitude
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Supervisory or management experience
– Must be creative, perceptive, assertive and show initiative
– Ability to work as a team leader within the department, and a team player with other departments
– Ability to prioritize work, set and meet deadlines
– Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations, including students, parents and other CCU employees
– Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information
– Ability to delegate and assign tasks
Download the job description: Bursar