First-Year Experience Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Student Services
REPORTS TO: VP – Enrollment and Student Services
FLSA STATUS: Exempt, 12-month position
DATE MODIFIED: 3/15/2019
The First-Year Experience Coordinator provides guidance and resources for CCU programs involving the Evan Bolejack Learning Center and the first-year undergraduate student population on campus. This position reports to the VP Enrollment and Student Services and is for a 12 – month duration, with the potential to extend beyond the initial year term.
Essential Duties & Functions
Performance reviews of the First-Year Experience Coordinator are based on the fulfillment of the following tasks.
Supervise the Evan Bolejack Learning Center
- Provide direction and support for Learning Coaches and Lead Learning Coaches in their efforts to deliver academic services to CCU students.
- Ensure that tutoring and academic coaching services are delivered at a satisfactory level.
- Record and maintain the learning center budget, adhering to the requirements and limits therein.
- Coordinate and execute first-year learning communities along with relevant activities, assessments, and interventions.
- Collaborate with academic support functions to provide a seamless network of support for academically at-risk students.
- Develop and teach Freshman Seminar courses on college success skills, making connections, and orientation to campus life.
- Establish and supervise adjunct instructors for multiple sections of CCU’s Freshman Seminar course.
- Assist in organizing the first-generation student peer mentoring program.
- Advise students relating to enrollment processes, program requirements, and course sequence.
- Serve as a central contact point relating to student needs and concerns.
- Meet with prospective students to provide information about academic programs.
- Participate in student registration and orientation events.
- Advise transfer students on application of external credit.
- Coordinate support initiatives for academically at-risk students, including students who qualify for disability accommodations.
- Communicate with students to ensure timely registration.
- Engage students in a manner that encourages the development of their Christian faith.
- Ensure that strategic and missional initiatives identified by the university President are accomplished to the fullest possible extent. In every context and with all constituencies, the First-Year Experience Coordinator is expected to articulate full support for the university’s mission and the President’s vision.
- Respond to all communications from faculty members, department Chairs, students, and all other CCU employees and constituencies in a timely and professional matter.
- In all contexts, create and promote a healthy administrative and campus culture characterized by free and open disclosure, a spirit of Christian love and grace, and genuine respect.
- Participate on committees as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Ability to demonstrate a personal faith in Christ is essential.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field.
- Master’s degree in college student development or education preferred.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- Availability for occasional evening and weekend responsibilities.
- Strong competency in the use of Microsoft Office and data management programs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate across multiple administrative levels.
- Prior experience mentoring first-year college students preferred.
- Prior experience working in support of students with disabilities preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Busy office environment
- Frequent interruptions
- Flexible hours are available
- Student engagement beyond normal work duties is encouraged
Download a PDF of the job description:
First-Year Experience Coordinator